This recipe shows you how to make a low-carb, gluten-free zucchini lasagna. There are no noodles in this veggie-filled lasagna. Thinly sliced zucchini stand in for the pasta. The only carbs you get are from all the fresh veggies. It’s the perfect summer lasagna when garden-fresh veggies are everywhere!
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 huge zucchini
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce (your choice)
- 8 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 cup finely grated lowfat mozzarella (divided in half)
- 1 egg white
- 1 oz. parmesean (finely grated)
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- Heat oven to 425. Cut ends off the zucchini and eggplant, then slice them lengthwise in 1/4″ strips.
- Spray both sides with cooking spray and lay out on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Bake on one side for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, half the mozzarella (1/2 cup), the basil, oregano, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, fresh ground pepper to taste, and the egg white.
- Once veggie slices are baked, spray a 9×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cover the bottom with a thin layer of the spaghetti sauce.
- Layer the eggplant and zucchini over that.
- Layer a third of the ricotta mixture over the veggies.
- Layer a third of the mushrooms over that.
- Repeat layers (alternate the direction of the slices) until you wind up with the last layer of cheese over the last of the mushrooms and sauce.
- Sprinkle the last 1/2 cup of mozzarella over the top. Add the parmesan.
- Bake for 8 minutes (or until cheese is slightly brown).
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Adapted from All Recipes