This is a delicious and filling Hearty Vegetable Stew. A freezer friendly soup that tastes even better as the days go on! This is a perfect soup to make at the beginning of a cold weekend.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
Hearty Vegetable Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 carrots (thinly sliced)
- 3 celery stalks (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced medium)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes)
- 1 bunch kale or spinach (stems removed, leaves torn into bite-size pieces)
- 1 can (15.5 ounces cannellini beans, rinsed and drained)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- In a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add carrots, celery, and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add tomatoes (reserving juice) and cook, breaking them up with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add tomato juice, kale, beans, thyme, and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a rapid simmer and cook until slightly reduced, 15 minutes. Divide soup among four bowls and serve. (To store, let cool completely, then refrigerate, in airtight containers, up to 1 week.).
Diabetes-Friendly: Beans and plenty of vegetables make this stew high in fiber, which can help keep blood sugar stable.