So, today was Chili Chicken, Kale & Quinoa Casserole kind of day. It’s a new day. This dish is perfect for laid back days like today. No pre-cooking.
Chili Chicken, Kale & Quinoa Casserole
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 3 cups cooked organic chicken breast (diced or shredded)
- 14 oz can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 6 kale leaves (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup cilantro + more for garnish (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green onions + more for garnish (chopped)
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 1 cup tomato sauce (homemade would be best, if not get organic)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 3 cups low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Jalapeno pepers to taste (optional)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease 9 x 13 baking dish with olive oil
- Cook quinoa as per package instructions and add to a large mixing bowl along with kale and mix to combine. You need quinoa to be hot, so it cooks down and reduces in size kale. Saves you extra step of sautéing.
- Add remaining ingredients, reserving 1.5 cup cheese for topping, and mix well to combine. Transfer mixture to a baking dish and press on it gently to flatten. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes uncovered. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with additional cilantro and green onions. Serve warm.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freezing Instructions: a) Do not bake at all. Just freeze assembled in a baking dish. Bake frozen 15 minutes longer than the original recipe calls for. b) Under bake by 15 minutes and freeze cooled. Reheat in the oven at 375 for 15 mins (whole, assembled). c)Bake, cut, freeze in individual portions and then defrost in a microwave.
Adapted from ifoodreal