This recipe calls for baby spinach. These small, immature leaves have a milder, sweeter flavor and are more delicate than mature spinach. Make Baked Spinach and Eggs dish if you are looking for a light lunch or a healthy snack.
Baked Spinach and Eggs
- 6 cups firmly packed baby spinach or 1 (10 oz or up to 1 lb bag fresh baby spinach*)
- 4 eggs or 8 egg whites
- Salt and freshly Ground Pepper (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp crumbled Feta Cheese for 2 eggs (about 2 Tbps in total)
- A little oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease with a little oil individual ramekins or other small oven safe dishes that can accomodate 1-2 eggs. See photo above. Set aside.
- Place the spinach in a deep skillet or a large frying pan. Add a little water (2-3 Tablespoons). Using medium heat, cook the spinach just until wilted, roughly 3-4 minutes. Use either your hand or a spatula to pack in the spinach. Drain the excess water well especially if you are using frozen spinach.
- Distribute the spinach evenly among the prepared ramekins or oven-safe dishes. Crack 1-2 eggs on top of the spinach. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese on top.
- Place the baking dishes or ramekins on a cookie sheet and bake for about 15-18 mintues or until the eggs are set/cooked to your liking.
You may use frozen spinach too.
Adapted from Epicurious