Chia seeds replace the grains in this wonderful breakfast cereal alternative.
Chia Breakfast Porridge with Berries
A grain free alternative to breakfast cereal that is loaded with fiber, omega 3, and protein
Write a review
- 1 cup (raw) cashews - optional, soak the cashews overnight, and drain/rinse to promote ease of digestion
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut or almond milk
- 1 ½ cups natural canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey and optional stevia to taste
- ¼ cup chia seeds - lesser amount will make a thinner creamy sauce, more seeds thickens for a pudding consistency
- Place all ingredients, except the chia seeds, in a Vita Mix, blender or food processor and blend on high speed until smooth. Stir in chia seeds. This mixture can be used immediately, but if you let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, it will thicken as the seeds absorb the liquid. Top with berries and pomegrante seeds before serving.
- Chia seeds can hold 9 times their weight in liquid, so this will thicken as it sits! It should start off rather liquidy and then set up while the chia has time to absorb the surrounding liquid.
Adapted from http://www.lauraschmittne.com/2010/03/chia-seed-cashew-coconut-cream-topping.html