Aromatic savory-and-sweet stuffed peppers are a satisfying supper, Serve with rainbow chard sautéed with olive oil, garlic and parsley.
Moroccan-Style Stuffed Peppers
- 1 2/3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 medium-to-large bell peppers (tops cut off and seeded)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup currants
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint (plus more for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Place peppers upside-down in a microwave-safe round casserole dish just large enough to fit them. Add 1/2 inch water to the dish and cover with a lid or inverted dinner plate. Microwave on High until the peppers are tender but still hold their shape, 3 to 6 minutes. Drain the water and turn the peppers right-side up.
- Cook garlic for 2-3 mins in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, Stir in currants, cumin and cinnamon; cook for 1 minute. Stir in the rice and cook for 30 seconds more. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup vegetable broth, mint, orange zest, salt and pepper.
- Spoon the rice mixture into the peppers. Pour the remaining 2 cups vegetable juice into the dish and cover. Microwave on High until the juice and filling are hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the peppers with the sauce; garnish with mint, if desired.
Adapted from Eating Well