Desserts are easy to figure out, especially with all the candy that comes along with Halloween, but there’s no reason why savory foods can’t be as fun as the sweet goodies! These easy to carve and very festive Jack-O’-Lantern bell peppers are filled with nutritious quinoa and a hint of eeevil for a fun Halloween dinner!
Halloweegan stuffed peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion (chopped)
- ½ cup mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (minced)
- ¼ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
For the Peppers
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Slice off the bottom tip of the pepper to create a flat base. Cut off the tops and use a spoon to remove the seeds. Save the tops for later!
- Use a pencil to draw the faces on the peppers, and use a small serrated knife to carve out the faces.
- Brush a little olive oil all over the inside of the peppers and lightly sprinkle them with salt and black pepper.
For the Stuffing
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for about five minutes or until soft. Stir in the mushrooms and sauté two more minutes. Stir in the garlic and sauté for just about 30 seconds.
- Add the parsley salt, black pepper, quinoa, and vegetable broth. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 to 18 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is soft and fluffy. If the quinoa is still crunchy you can add more broth and simmer it for a few more minutes.
- Spoon the quinoa stuffing into the peppers and cover them with the reserved pepper tops.
- Bake in a covered casserole for 25-30 minutes.