Grilling mushrooms takes only about 5 minutes per side. They are super tender and juicy. I choose to pair them with a simple chopped caprese salad. Smell of fresh chopped basil, combined with ripe vine tomatoes, and soft mozzarella on top of this juicy, earthy cap is a blend of bursting flavor. Oh and don’t forget garlic! Ultimate flavor.
GRILLED PORTOBELLO CAPS TOPPED WITH CAPRESE SALAD
- 4 large portobello mushrooms stems removed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 small tomatoes cut into ½-inch pieces
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil + more for coating mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium/high heat.
- Coat both sides of mushroom with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Whisk the 3 Tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place grilled mushrooms gill side up and spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms, drizzle with more extra-virgin olive oil if need to. Serve