Take full advantage of the citrus season with grapefruits, Florida oranges and, of course, the most beautiful of the bunch – blood oranges. This marinated tofu with citrus salsa could definitely brighten up the most gloomy of January days.
Ginger Marinated Tofu and Citrus Salsa
- 1 grapefruit – segmented
- 1 orange – segmented
- 1 blood orange – segmented
- 1 ripe but firm avocado – peeled (pitted and chopped)
- ⅛ small red onion – finely chopped
- ½ large or 1 small jalapeno chile – seeded and minced
- large handful fresh cilantro leaves – chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- ½ lime
Ginger Marinated Tofu
- 1 package non-GMO firm or extra-firm tofu
- citrus juices collected from segmenting the citrus (from the salsa recipe above)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin wine (available at Asian markets)
- small squeeze of honey – optional
- 1- inch piece ginger – finely grated
- Segment your citrus over a bowl, collecting the juices. Set the bowl with the juices aside.
- Chop the citrus segments into about 1/4 inch pieces. In a separate bowl, combine them with avocado, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper. Squeeze the lime juice over it and mix gently.
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in several layers of paper towels. Place on a plate, cover with another plate and place something heavy on top (a jar filled with water works great). Leave it to drain for about 20 minutes.
- Add lime juice, tamari, mirin, honey and ginger to the bowl with citrus juice from the salsa and whisk to combine.
- Unwrap tofu and slice it into your preferred shape. Place in a dish that is big enough to hold all of the tofu and the marinade. Pour the marinade over, turning tofu pieces to make sure that all are evenly covered with the marinade. Leave to absorb the flavors for 30 minutes or longer, even overnight.
- Grill for several minutes on each side until golden brown (time will differ depending on the type of grill you’re using). You can also bake the tofu at 425 F for about 20 minutes. Brush with marinade during grilling if you wish. Serve with citrus salsa and wilted spinach or other greens and enjoy.
Adapted from Golubka Kitchen