Wild rice with mandarin oranges and grilled vegetables is such a simple side dish that is an ideal accompaniment to everything from fish to chicken. Adding the woody flavor of roasted kale and the smoky grilled veggies plus the sweet mandarin oranges makes a perfect mix of flavors.
Wild Rice with Mandarin Oranges & Grilled Vegetables
- 1 cup cooked of your favorite wild rice blend
- One 14oz can low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 onion
- 2 zucchini
- 3-5 large spinach leaves (stems removed and cut into bite size pieces)
- 2-3 mandarin or clementine oranges (sectioned and cut in half)
- Granulated Garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Start by cooking your rice per the package directions substituting the can of broth for a portion of the water. I cook my rice in a rice cooker because I am rice deficient, it will take about 30 or so minutes for the rice to cook in that wonderful device.
- If you have not already grilled the zucchini and onion now is the time to get them tossed with olive oil, salt and granulated garlic and on to the grill and cooked over medium to high heat until tender. It will take just a few minutes per side to get a little char and soften up the veggies. If you want to swap the zucchini and onion for other veggies go for it.
- The spinach and oranges I cook in my toaster oven, it just makes my life so simple since I normally serve this rice as a side to a grilled dinner. Pre heat the toaster or regular oven to 425. Spread the spinach and the halved orange sections on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil and salt. Then put in the hot oven for about 5-10 minutes, stirring once, until the spinach starts to brown on the edges and the oranges are fragrant and soft.
- Mix everything into the hot rice with a drizzle of olive oil and salt & pepper to taste. If the flavor is a little flat kick it up with a squeeze of either lemon or orange juice.