Often this time of year gardens are overflowing with zucchini and summer squash. This quick and easy recipe is a great way to use up some of the bounty. Note that summer squash varies in tenderness, sometimes you need to cook them a little longer, sometimes a little less.
Sautéed Italian Vegetables
- 2 lbs squash and/or zucchini sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper seeds removed, sliced
- 1 one large tomato peeled and cut into wedges
- 1/2 yellow onion peeled and sliced
- 1 clove of garlic chopped
- Olive oil
- Basil either dry or chopped fresh
- Salt and pepper
- Put onion, garlic, squash, bell pepper into a large saucepan with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Put on high heat and brown the vegetables slightly to develop flavor. As you are browning, sprinkle either dried basil or chopped fresh basil on the vegetables. When vegetables are slightly browned, remove from heat and cover the pan.
- In a separate stick-free fry pan, put the tomatoes and cook at medium hi heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. You want to let the juice from the tomatoes evaporate some. After 5 minutes, add the tomatoes to the rest of the vegetables and stir. Salt and pepper to taste.