Gluten free, high protein, no refined sugars and absolutely delicious!
Lemon Yogurt Protein Cake
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup OR honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 2.5 cups almond meal (ground almonds / almond flour)
- 1/2 cup protein powder (natural or vanilla flavour)
- 500 g low fat greek yoghurt (optional: strain overnight to remove excess liquid)
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 170°C (340° F).
- Oil a 23cm (9 inch) square cake pan and line with baking paper.
- Combine egg yolks, maple, vanilla, baking powder, almond meal, protein powder, and yoghurt in a large bowl.
- Mix in lemon zest and juice.
- Beat egg whites seperately until soft peaks then fold into the lemon cake mixture. This will lighten the cake and help it rise.
- Pour into prepared cake pan and bake for 40 mins. Remove cake and cover with foil to prevent over-browning. Return to oven for a further 20 mins or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool before turning out. Serve and enjoy. Will keep covered in the fridge for 1 week.
*Replace natural sugar with stevia to assist with weight loss
Serving Size: Makes 16 squares
Number of Servings: 16
Adapted from Spark People