Make a double batch of this spicy, sweet ginger sauce and refrigerate it for up to three days. Spoon it onto angel food cake or fresh melon. If you can’t find red currants, use peach slices or strawberries.
Fresh Berries with Ginger Sauce
For the sauce
- 4 cups strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup fresh red currants
- Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- To make the sauce, in a blender or food processor, combine the strawberries, orange juice, ginger and vanilla. Process just until blended. Pass the puree through a fine-mesh sieve placed over a small bowl, pressing on the solids with a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon to extract all the juice.
- In a large bowl, toss together the blackberries, raspberries and currants, mixing well. Transfer to a serving bowl or individual bowls. Spoon the ginger sauce over the berries and garnish with the mint. Serve immediately.
*Replace natural sugar with stevia to assist with weight loss
Adapted from Riverside Online