Contrary to popular belief, there is a way to make rich creamed spinach without cream. “How?” you ask? Use coconut milk instead. In this recipe, we sauté the spinach with red onion, garlic, ginger and a few spices, like cayenne pepper, to bring the heat. Then we simmer the spinach in coconut milk until the mixture gets nice and thick. Try serving this side dish with roast chicken, lentil salad or brown rice and beans.
Coconut Creamed Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion–peeled (halved and thinly sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled and thinly sliced)
- One ½-inch piece fresh ginger (peeled and minced)
- 8 cups spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until tender, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the spinach a few handfuls at a time, stirring until it wilts before adding more. Continue until all the spinach is added.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture thickens, about four to five minutes. Season with the cayenne pepper, curry powder, paprika and salt, and stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Pure Wow