You can substitute lentils for chickpeas, black beans, white kidney beans or pinto beans.
Vegetarian Burger Recipe
- 3 cups cooked black lentils
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 3-4 ounces silken tofu
- ¼ cup crushed peanuts
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or clarified butter
- Combine the lentils, eggs, silken tofu, crushed peanuts and salt in a food processor. Puree until the mixture is the consistency of a runny yet textured hummus - it's o.k. if many of the lentils remain whole. Pour into a mixing bowl. Prepare the onion. You may wish to squeeze out some liquid from the raw onion. Stir in the onion. At this point, you should have a very moist mixture that you can easily form into twelve 1 1/2-inch-thick patties. I err on the moist side here, because it makes for a nicely textured burger. You may cover the mixture and chill for 30 minutes to help firm up the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over medium low, add 4 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. Turn up the heat if there is no browning after 10 minutes. Flip the patties and cook the second side for 7 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties. You may carefully cut each patty in half, insert your favorite fillings, and enjoy immediately.