This is one simple dish, as most comfort foods are. Because when you want something comforting, the last thing you want to do is spend hours toiling away in the kitchen. Nothing says Chinese home cooking to me more loudly than this recipe right here. I would compare it to the comfort of digging into a big bowl of mom’s Mac and cheese.
Stir-fried Tomato and Egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into chunks
- 4 eggs whites
- 1/2 cup scallions cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium pan or wok, heat up the olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the garlic in the oil for about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Then add the tomato chunks to the garlic and saute the mixture for 1-2 minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften, salt and pepper to taste. Remove the tomato mixture and set aside in a medium bowl.
- Separate the yolk from the egg white for two of the eggs. Discard the yolks. Then add the third entire egg (yolk and white), to the two egg whites. Using a fork, mix the egg together slightly.
- Then heat the same medium pan or wok used to cook the tomatoes, over medium heat. Add the eggs to the pan/wok and stir constantly until the eggs firm up most of the way. Salt to taste. Then add the tomato mixture to the eggs, as well as the scallions. Stir the tomato and egg gently until the eggs are firm all the way through.
- Remove from heat, and serve immediately with brown rice (optional). Enjoy!