Spicy Balsamic Tofu Salad has hearty salad greens, roasted red bell peppers, tofu that’s marinated in sweet balsamic vinegar, lemon zest, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, dried basil and a pinch of oregano.
Spicy Balsamic Tofu Salad
- 1 package extra firm tofu (frozen then thawed. (Skip step one if using fresh tofu))
- 1 small onion
- three cloves of garlic
- 1 red bell pepper (roasted (jarred is fine for off season))
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- sweet aged balsamic vinegar and extra virgin oil -approximately equal parts shaken or whisked together (about a ⅓ cup or enough to coat all tofu pieces)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- pine nuts and scallions for garnish – optional
- Hearty salad greens (your favorite)
- Wrap the brick of tofu in paper towels and place on a heavy plate. Place another heavy plate on top of the tofu and microwave for about three minutes on high, or until desired consistency is reached. Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic; slice the pepper into long strips. Unwrap tofu and slice into cubes once cool enough to handle. **If using fresh tofu just be sure to press tofu between two plates (with heavy object on top) for 15 minutes to remove excess water.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients for a marinade and drop the tofu into the marinade. Drop tofu and marinade in a ziplock bag, zip partially and squeeze to remove as much air as possible, then zip completely. Massage tofu to make sure all surfaces are covered.
- While tofu is marinating: In a large nonstick pan over medium low heat, add onions, garlic, red peppers and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover pan until soft and fragrant, stirring occasionally, or about ten minutes. Add tofu with marinade and sautee uncovered until hot.
- Top with scallions and pine nuts for garnish.
- Serve warm or cold as a salad
Adapted from Kate From Scratch