Aptly named beluga lentils look like little beads of caviar. They cook quickly, and they hold their shape. Use them in this recipe, or substitute.
Spiced Black Lentils with Yogurt and Mint
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 cup black beluga lentils
- 3 cups (or more low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth)
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt (freshly ground black pepper)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (thinly sliced)
- Stir coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, and 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until sizzling, about 1 minute. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add lentils and 3 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, adding broth as needed to keep lentils covered, until lentils are soft, 30–40 minutes. Stir in vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer lentils to a large bowl and top with yogurt. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with oil, and top with mint.
Adapted from Bonappetit