You know how there’s that one side or that one recipe that, somehow, always sounds great for dinner? Well, steamed asparagus is usually the one that comes to mind for me. So much so that Dustin has come to despise steamed asparagus. Rightfully so…probably.
- 1 bunch of medium sized asparagus (about 1 lb)
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest – freshly grated lemon rind
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the asparagus by rinsing them thoroughly, break off any tough, white bottoms and discard. Cut into 1 to 2 inch sections, slicing the asparagus at a slight diagonal.
- Fill a medium sized saucepan half way with water, bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and reduce heat slightly to a simmer. Parboil the asparagus for exactly 2 minutes. Drain the hot water. While the asparagus are still hot, toss them in a bowl with the olive oil and lemon rind. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temperature.
that when you are working with so few ingredients, it’s important to make sure they are of the highest quality.