Fiery red-orange in color and thick enough to use as a dipping sauce or spread, this Romesco Sauce complements your grilled summer foods. Grill-roasted red bell peppers, slivered almonds and spices make this sauce rich and flavorful. Plus, this Romesco Sauce Recipe is easy to make; just throw the ingredients in a blender and push “pulse.” This recipe is excerpted from Karen Adler and Judith Fertig’s The Gardener & the Grill (Running Press, 2012), an outstanding grilling guide with seasonal recipes, tips on grilling for preserving and full-color photography. Take your next dinner party to the patio with fresh vegetables grilled to perfection or savory grilled organic chicken.
A classic Spanish sauce thickened with bread and ground almonds, Romesco tastes wonderful on grilled vegetables and seafood. To toast almonds, sprinkle them on a baking sheet and toast in a 350°F oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
[fusion_builder_container hundred_percent=”yes” overflow=”visible”][fusion_builder_row][fusion_builder_column type=”1_1″ background_position=”left top” background_color=”” border_size=”” border_color=”” border_style=”solid” spacing=”yes” background_image=”” background_repeat=”no-repeat” padding=”” margin_top=”0px” margin_bottom=”0px” class=”” id=”” animation_type=”” animation_speed=”0.3″ animation_direction=”left” hide_on_mobile=”no” center_content=”no” min_height=”none”]
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 2 grill-roasted red bell peppers or jarred roasted red bell peppers (roughly chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 slice Ezekiel bread (crust removed, toasted and crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a food processor, grind the almonds. Add roasted peppers, garlic, bread, parsley and hot pepper flakes. Blend until it becomes a paste. Add the vinegar and pulse to blend. With the motor running, gradually pour the olive oil through the feed tube in a steady stream until the mixture thickens like mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.