If you are looking over your Thanksgiving menu and have that gut feeling like something is missing, you are right. You are missing this Quinoa Salad with Butternut Squash, fresh berries, and Pepitas. It is an easy salad that is full of fall flavors and perfect for Thanksgiving.
Quinoa Salad with Butternut Squash, Fresh Berries, and Pepitas
- 1 butternut squash (peeled, seeded, and chopped into ½ inch cubes)
- Olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (for seasoning squash)
- 2 cups of quinoa
- 4 cups of water
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 1 cup of pepitas (pumpkin seeds, unsalted)
For the Citrus Dressing
- Juice of 3 large oranges
- Zest of 1 large orange
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place butternut squash on large baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Toss until squash is well coated. Season with salt and pepper. Roast the squash for 30 mintues, turning once, until tender.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, cook the quinoa. Add quinoa, water, and salt to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let quinoa cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, butternut squash, fresh berries, and pepitas. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, zest, and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle over quinoa salad. Toss until ingredients are well dressed.
If the citrus dressing is too sour/bitter add stevia, to desired sweetness.
Adapted from Edible Sound Bites