Think of this Quinoa Chicken Salad with Heirloom tomatoes as the “end-of-summer salad” when tomatoes are sweet and ripe and just at their peak.
Quinoa Chicken Salad with Heirloom tomatoes
- 1 C Quinoa- rinsed
- 1 lb cooked seasoned organic chicken (or seared tofu, or cooked garbanzo beans)
- 1 lb heirloom tomatoes- halved or diced
- 1 can rinsed (drained chick peas)
- 1 C chopped packed Italian parsley
- 1/4 C chopped packed mint
- 1/4 C finely diced onion
- zest from one lemon
- 1-2 C Arugula or Mizuna (optional)
- 4 oz light feta cheese (halved- optional)
- 1/4 C plus 1 T olive oil
- 1/8 C red wine vinegar
- 1/8 C fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Cracked pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- pinch sugar
- Rinse Quinoa and place in medium pot with 1 3/4 Cup water and 1/2 tsp salt on high heat. Bring to a boil, cover and turn heat to low, and cook covered 15-20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed. Fluff with fork and cool in fridge, overnight or for 1 hour.
- To make dressing, mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
- When quinoa has chilled, place in large bowl, fluff with fork. Add tomatoes, chickpeas, chicken or tofu, herbs, zest, onion and cheese ( optional). Toss with dressing. If you like, place it on top of a bed of greens like arugula or mixed lettuces.
Adapted from Feasting at Home