Paleo Pizza Marinara with Cauliflower Crust is a great alternative to regular pizza with the flavors and textures that your used to, but use little to no grains, even whole grains. The crust is made of cauliflower, mozzarella cheese, egg and seasoning. It holds together really well and you can easily eat the pizza with your hands. For the topping you can skip adding extra cheese (as there’s already some in the crust) and just focused on tomato sauce, olives, capers and anchovies.
Paleo Pizza Marinara with Cauliflower Crust
- 1 medium head cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- ½ cup / 1.7 oz / 50 gr light mozzarella (shredded)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- ½ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 3 ladlefuls of homemade or organic tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons green olives (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons black oilives (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon capers (optional)
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- ½ cup low fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Olive oil as needed
- Preheat oven to 450°F (220°C). Place a rack in the middle. Line with parchment paper a baking sheet and lightly grease it with olive oil
- In a food processor rice the cauliflower (not puree, rice grain size crumbles). Transfer to a microwave dish and microwave on high for around 8 minutes or until cooked.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a colander, and with the help of a large spoon squeeze as much moisture out as you can. This is very important. The cauliflower needs to be dry. Otherwise you’ll end up with a mushy dough; not a crusty one. Alternatively you can place the cauliflower rice in a tea towel and twist it to squeeze out the moisture.
- In a large bowl mix the cauliflower, egg, mozzarella, oregano, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Press the mixture onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool from 5 minutes.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly on the dough; top with sliced olives, capers and cheese (if using). Sprinkle oregano on top and drizzle with olive oil. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Serve Warm.
Adapted from The Iron You