Mashed potatoes are one of my all-time favorite savory foods. They epitomize comfort food to me, and I love to try different variations of herbs and substitutions (like the vegetable broth in place of dairy) to help lighten them up. However, there is such a thing as too much mashed potatoes.
But sometimes you need to cool it on the potatoes for fear of turning into one, and decided to create a mock version using cauliflower and cannellini beans instead. I’ve tried using all cauliflower in the past, but it tends to be a little watery on its own, and the texture isn’t quite right. The cannellini beans definitely help to make it thicker and creamier, and they also pack an awesome protein punch.
Mock Mashed Potatoes
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic (sliced)
- 1 Head Cauliflower (roughly chopped)
- 3 C. Cooked Cannellini Beans
- ½ C. Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Parsley (sliced (chives would also work well))
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced garlic, and cook until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place 1-2 inches of water in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Place cauliflower in a steam basket and place in pot. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine garlic-infused oil, cauliflower, cannellini beans, vegetable broth, and parsley, and puree until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed, and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Adapted from Pickles n Honey