So here’s a tasty Mega Healthy Wheat Berry Salad that is quick and easy to whip up (just get those wheat berries soaking overnight) and it’s perfect for taking with you to work for a light and healthy lunch.
Mega Healthy Wheat Berry Salad
- 1 cup raw wheat berries
- ½ cup carrot (finely diced)
- ½ cup cucumber (finely diced)
- ½ cup red bell pepper (finely diced)
- ½ cup green bell pepper (finely diced)
- ½ cup red onion (finely diced)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted chopped walnuts (optional)
For the Vinaigrette
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil or a combination of olive and walnut oil
- ¼ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Optional: stevia to taste for the vinaigrette if you like a sweeter dressing
- Optional: ½ cup of diced Feta cheese
- Rinse the wheat berries in a strainer and put them in a pot over water overnight to soak. Rinse and drain them and put them back in a pot of water, covered by at least 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about an hour until tender but not mushy and still completely intact. The wheat berries should still be a little chewy. Drain thoroughly and place in a large bowl.
- Toast the walnuts by placing them whole in an oven preheated to 375 degrees F and toast them for 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
- Add all remaining salad ingredients to the wheat berries. Whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients and pour over the salad. Stir to coat the salad. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving, stirring occasionally to distribute the vinaigrette.
Adapted from Daring Gourmet