Healthy and gluten free “crustless” spaghetti squash quiche with kale, mushrooms and extra egg whites and cottage cheese for a protein boost.
Kale and Mushroom Spaghetti Squash Crust Quiche
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2.5 lbs)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp onion or garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 cups kale (chopped & packed (I used 1 bunch of Lacinato kale))
- 2 large eggs or 4 egg whites
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup low fat mozzarella (shredded)
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 2 tsp onion or garlic powder
- 1 + 1/2 tsp dried thyme (divided)
- 1/2 tsp salt (divided)
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper (divided)
- Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half and place face side down on a baking sheet
- lined with parchment paper or foil. Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside to cool until safe to handle.
- In the meanwhile, preheat large skillet on high heat and grease a little olive oil. Add mushrooms
- and saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add kale, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper and saute until kale is wilted. Transfer to a bowl with mushrooms and set aside.
- To make the crust, seed spaghetti squash and separate flesh into strands using a fork. Add to a medium bowl along with thyme, onion/garlic powder and salt, and mix to combine. Transfer to a
- deep pie dish and press evenly on the bottom and sides using your hands. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs with egg whites and whisk for 30 seconds. Add cheese, cottage
- cheese, previously cooked mushrooms and kale, 2 tsp onion/garlic powder, 1 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp
- salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper and mix to combine. Pour into prepared crust and flatten with spatula to make sure all vegetables are dunk in the liquid.
- Bake in 400 degrees F oven for 50 mins or until the knife inserted comes out clean. Let quiche cool down for at least 30 minutes. Cut into 8 slices and serve hot or cold.
Storage Instructions: Refrigerate covered for up to 3 – 4 days. Do not freeze.
Adapted from iFood Real