A healthier and lighter chocolate cake that is gluten free
- ½ cup of blanched almond flour
- 3 organic eggs (separated)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 TBS cocoa powder
- ¼ cup of Swerve (Erythritol and 1 tsp stevia)
- 4 TBS coconut oil or organic butter
- 2 TBS grass fed organic butter or coconut oil
- 1 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 5 TBS heavy organic cream or coconut milk
- ¼ cup Confectioners Swerve (or powdered* erythritol)
- 1 tsp stevia glycerite
- Whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Combine the yolks, sweetener, oil/butter and whisk until well-blended. Combine all the dry ingredients, blend well. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the whipped whites and then slowly fold in the dry mixture, and blend well. Fill the cupcake pan ¾ of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- CHOCOLATE Frosting: Place the butter and chopped chocolate in a double boiler (or in a heat safe dish over a pot of boiling water). Stir well until just melted (don’t burn the chocolate!), add in the cream, and sweetener. Stir until smooth and thick.
This type of baking works best in small pans such as muffin pans or other unique small and shallow baking dish. If you cook this type of recipe in a deep pan, the middle has a tendancy toward being underdone while outer edges dry out.