Serve Caribbean rice and peas with shredded chicken or pork for an island-inspired meal. Perfect for a casual holiday dinner.
Carribean Rice and Peas
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 10-ounce can low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 15-ounce can pigeon peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoonsalt
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes or until translucent. Add rice and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in peas, parsley, lemon rind, and salt. Garnish, if desired.
Adapted from My Recipe