Black Beans and Rice with Chicken and Apple Salsa
Simple and common ingredients which get taken to a new dimension with the green apple salsa.
- 1 cup chopped (peeled Granny Smith apple)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro (divided)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion (divided)
- 1 tsp or more fresh lime juice, plus more for rice
- 1 red bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 4 cups low sodium organic chicken broth (divided)
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 organic chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
- lime wedges (for serving)
- In a small bowl combine the apple, 1/4 cup cilantro, 2 tbsp red onion, and 1 tsp lime juice. Set aside.
- Cook rice according to package instructions, using 2 cups broth instead of water. When rice is cooked, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup cilantro and lime juice, to taste.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until soft (6-7 minutes). Add garlic, chili powder, and cumin, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups chicken broth and beans, bringing mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer briskly, until sauce is thickened (8-10 minutes). Use a spoon to mash some of the beans while cooking, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide beans and rice among plates. Top with shredded chicken and apple salsa. Garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges.
Adapted from The Bon Appétit Test Kitchen