Barley and Kale salad is low fat, tasty and filling. The dressing adds a tartness that blends nicely with the kale, the edamame adds a nice amount of protein, and the cranberries are just plain yummy.
Barley Kale Salad
- 1 10- ounce bunch Lacinato (dinosaur kale, washed, leaves trimmed from stem and chopped)
- ½ cup chopped parsley (one bunch)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup good quality balsamic vinegar
- Juice of two lemons
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Generous grinding of freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked barley
- 2 cups shelled edamame
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped kale, parsley and red onion. In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Add the vinegar mixture to the kale and toss together. Stir the barley, edamame and cranberries into the kale mixture. Taste, and add salt and pepper if needed. Refrigerate for 1 hour to let the flavors combine. Serve.
Adapted from Have Recipes