Aida's Black Bean, Red Onion, Quinoa, and Feta Lettuce Wraps
Healthy lean taco with black bean protein
- • 3 tablespoons canola and grapeseed oil
- • 6 medium garlic cloves thinly sliced
- • 2 medium red onions sliced into 1/2-inch rings
- • Kosher Salt
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- • 2 cups cooked beans (black, pinto, garbanzo, kidney, etc)
- • 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (chicken broth, or water)
- • 16 lettuce leaves
- • 1 cup cooked quinoa
- • 1/2 cup crumbled light feta cheese
- 1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Tip Bean and onion mixture can be made through this step up to two days ahead. Store refrigerated in an airtight container and heat up before serving.
- 2. Stir in cumin, beans, and stock or water and scrape the bottom of the pan to incorporate any browned bits. Cook until the mixture is simmering and the liquid is reduced so it’s just coating the bottom of the pan. Taste and add more salt or cumin, as desired.
- 3. top lettuce leaves with onion-bean mixture, a few spoonfuls of quinoa, and a crumble of cheese, and serve.